Although a common condition with women approaching and already in the menopause stage, vaginal dryness is becoming a common condition with younger women today. Some of the factors believed to cause this include low estrogen levels, hormonal changes, a drug reaction, psychological issues, and anxiety among others. Under normal circumstances, a healthy woman’s body should be capable of producing enough lubrication when aroused. If you however get aroused but still remain, you should then have a medical practitioner run some tests. While this condition may be irritating (causing painful sex), there are plenty of medications and natural remedies that one can use for treatment and prevention.
What Causes Vaginal Dryness?
1. Hormonal changes: A woman’s body undergoes many changes especially when one approaching menopause. Any slight decline in estrogen levels and production often leads to sexual issues, low libido, and vaginal dryness topping the list. Such a decline may be as a result of poor eating habits and lifestyles, age, or even a drug reaction. Other factors that can cause hormonal changes in a woman’s body include breastfeeding and any form of radiation, especially in the pelvic region. Talking to a doctor about this, and focusing on healthy and nutritive foods can however help contain the problem.
2. Drug reaction: Some prescription drugs may cause vaginal dryness in younger women as well. Asthma medication and any other drugs containing antihistamines are the biggest offenders in this case. This is because antihistamines have a drying effect in the body, which can be a real problem to your sexual health. If on such medication, you can either ask for a replacement or simply wait until the prescription dose is over.
3. Anxiety: Emotional and psychological factors can also affect normal estrogen production. Depression, stress, and anxiety can have an effect. Some women may get anxious just before having sex. This results in insufficient blood flow into the vagina, hence dryness. Nonetheless, learning how to manage stress can help you overcome such situations hence be able to enjoy every moment of it.
4. Insufficient arousal: If a woman is not properly aroused, she may experience vaginal dryness and even pain during intercourse. Most of the women suffering from this will under most instances be diagnosed with low libido or even premature ejaculation. Ensuring you are properly aroused before penetration is therefore recommended to prevent vaginal dryness. If it however takes too long for you to be aroused, there is a high probability of low estrogen levels in your blood. Working towards improving estrogen levels such as containing stress and proper dieting can however contain the problem.
5. Allergies: Some hygiene products, beauty soaps, perfumes, and dyes can cause some irritation on the vagina leading to dryness. These irritants cling on undergarments and especially towels and underwear hence causing this. If perfumed soaps or scented oils cause such irritation on your body, you should then consider ditching them altogether, then go for pure ones.
How to Treat Vaginal Dryness
Knowing factors that cause vaginal dryness puts you in a better position to prevent or even treat this condition. Some of the best ways of treating this condition are outlined below.
1. Estrogen therapies: This involves using medications that help raise estrogen levels in your body. You however have to talk to a medical practitioner for a prescription on these.
2. Natural home remedies: Some foods can also help boost normal estrogen production. Some of these include avocado, beets, oysters, tuna, salmon, olive oil, and pumpkin seeds. Including these in your diet plan can help treat vaginal dryness for good.
3. Use moisturizers and lubricants: lubes and moisturizers are highly efficient in minimizing vaginal dryness. You can use these remedies for a short time while still under medication.
Proper hygiene is also recommended to help prevent this condition. Discussing the situation with your partner, then working on ways to deal with it can make treating the condition much easier.